153rd ACNFP Meeting
Last updated: 21 September 2022
On this pageSkip the menu of subheadings on this page.
8th June 2022
The 153rd meeting of the ACNFP will be held on Wednesday 8th June 2022. Further details to follow.
- Tetradenia riparia (Iboza), a traditional food from a third country notification requesting authorisation within the GB market was reviewed. The product; a herbaceous plant from southern Africa from which the leaves are harvested, dried, and subsequently ground before being consumed as hot or cold beverage infusions or mixed into foods to be sold as a free-flowing powder, capsules, flavoured drink blends. A summary of the points raised, and the Committee’s views will be subject to a 10-day consultation shortly. The finalised advice will form the basis for risk management decisions.
- A mixture of Lacto-N-fucopentaose I (LNFP-I) and 2'-fucosyllactose (2' FL) mixture (LNFP-I/2'-FL), as a novel food application, was considered for the first time, for use in a range of food products. Clarification was sought on one aspect of the composition and the applicant will be asked for the further information.
- The Committee reviewed for the first time another novel food dossier from the same applicant as mentioned above; the oligosaccharide 3-Fucosyllactose), which is produced in a crystallised form (using acetic acid as a recrystallisation solvent) or a non-crystallised form. Clarification was also sought on an aspect of the composition and the applicant will be asked for further information.
- An application continues to be reviewed for ‘Mung Bean Protein’ as received under the Novel Foods Authorisation Process. The Committee provided advice on the information needed according to existing guidance to address the outstanding issue in relation to allergenicity and a request for further information was advised.
- The requests for further information for Barley Rice Protein was evaluated with the Committee. The data were now adequate to conclude the safety evaluation of this application and the Secretariat is now drafting the opinion.
- The requests for further information for Cetylated Fatty Acids was evaluated with the Committee. The data were now adequate to conclude the safety evaluation of this application and the Secretariat is now drafting the opinion.
- The opinions mentioned above will be the first opinions to be developed by the Committee since the UK’s departure from the EU. The Committee therefore evaluated the generic approach to preparing opinions for Novel Foods under assessment in the UK and provided feedback to be taken on board for these and future opinions.
- The Members also reviewed the response from the applicant providing further information on Calcidiol. This is the third time the Committee were evaluating this application. Further information was sought on identity, production process and proposed use to address information gaps that are needed to complete the assessment.
- A Science Council member reported on the work of the Science Council’s group on Food Safety and Net Zero Carbon. A number of areas relevant to the ACNFP and their future assessment work were highlighted for inclusion in the Committees horizon scanning. The Committee thanked the Science Council for the relevant update and will be looking forward to reading the full report upon publication.
- The Committee also agreed the Chair of the new sub-group of the ACNFP considering Products of Genetic Technologies as food and feed as Dr Andy Greenfield. The sub-group is now being established, and the first meeting expected for July 2022.